Message from Andrew Gunther, AGW Executive Director We’ve been in touch with our team and…
Grilling on the 4th? Animal Welfare Approved offers a no-compromise solution for healthy, high-welfare, environmentally sound celebrations. Stay tuned for more mouth watering recipes from independent farmers around the country.
Hard Boiled Eggs
Hard boiled egg
Split in half
Drizzle a little olive oil, sea salt and mache
Velveeta Sausage Dip
Farm: GrassRoots Pork Co.
Product: Bulk Mild Sausage in ~ 1 lb. packages
MIX all ingredients in microwaveable bowl.
MICROWAVE on HIGH 5 min. or until VELVEETA is completely melted, stirring after 3 min.
SERVE with tortilla chips or cracker of your choice
This recipe can also be placed into a crock pot and allowed to simmer for 30 minutes before serving. This will also keep the dish warm during long parties.
Crab & Goat Cheese Pasta
Farm: Stone Hollow Farmstead
Product: Goat cheese
Available at: Continental Bakery, Catherine’s Market, Grassroots Natural Market, Earthfare, Edgar’s Bakery, Food for Thought, Health Home Market, Manna Grocery & Deli, Oak Street Garden Shop & Market, Piggly Wiggly, V. Richards, Richards Palm Coast, The Vintage Wine Shoppe, Western Supermarket, Whole Foods
•1 lb. Penne Pasta •1 large White Onion, chopped •1 cup Olive Oil •1/3 cup Butter •4 Cloves Garlic, minced •1 lb. Jumbo Lump Crab Meat •1 cup Kalamata Olives, halved & pitted •Stone Hollow Creamery •3/4 cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes, cut in strips •1/2 cup chopped Basil, preferably fresh •1/2 cup chopped Parsley, preferably fresh •2 tbsp. chopped Tarragon •10 oz. Goat Cheese, crumbled •Salt & Pepper to taste •
Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until al dente. Saute onion in oil and butter for 3 minutes. Add garlic, cook 3 minutes. Add olive, tomatoes, herbs and shrimp. Cook until heated through. Pour sauce over warm pasta. Top with goat cheese, season with salt and pepper.
Easy Whole Roast Chicken
Farm: White Oak Pastures
Product: Whole chicken
•1 3-4 lb. roasting chicken •4 bay leaves, preferably fresh or sprigs of thyme •1 tbsp. unsalted butter •Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper •
Heat the oven to 350°. Season inside the cavity of the chicken with salt and pepper. Carefully slide your fingers between the skin and the breast meat and place 2 bay leaves and a pat of butter between the skin and the breast meat. Place the chicken in a cast iron skillet. Season all over with salt and pepper. Place the chicken in the oven with the cavity facing the rear of the oven. Roast until the juices run clear when pierced in the thigh with a knife, about 1 hour. Let rest for 15 minutes. Carve and serve immediately.
Vanilla Bean Cheesecake
Farm: Consider Bardwell
Product: Mettowee – fresh chevre (goat cheese). pasteurized goat milk, microbial (non-animal) rennet, cultures, sea salt.
In New York City
Union Square (Friday)
Abingdon Square (Saturday)
Carroll Gardens (Sunday)
Cortelyou Road (Sunday)
Jackson Heights (Sunday)
Union Square (Monday)
2 tbsp. water
1/2 tsp. unflavored gelatin
1 vanilla bean
16 oz. Mettowee (4 buttons)
6 tbsp. heavy cream
2/3 cups sugar
1. Place the water in a medium bowl and sprinkle with gelatin. Let stand to dissolve, 2 to 3 minutes. Meanwhile, spray a 6-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
2. Place 1 inch of water in a small saucepan and bring to a bare simmer over medium-low heat. Place the bowl with the gelatin and water on top of the saucepan (it should rest on the edge of the saucepan above the water) and stir just until the gelatin mixture is smoothly blended, 1 to 2 minutes. Take the bowl off the heat. Do not overheat.
3. Place the vanilla bean on a work surface and split in half lengthwise using a paring knife. Place one half in plastic wrap and reserve for another use. Scrape the seeds from the other half into a large bow and add the Mettowee, heavy cream, and sugar.
4. Beat with a mixer until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice. Beat in the gelatin mixture until well blended.
5. Scrape the cheesecake batter into the pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 6 hours or overnight.
6. To unmold, run a paring knife around the edge of the pan. Set the cake, supported by the springform base, on a cake plate. Store for up to four days in the refrigerator.
Baldwin Ranch Chili and Beans
Farm: Baldwin Beef
•1.5 pounds lean Baldwin Charolais Ground Beef •1 Can Kidney Beans •2 Cans Diced Tomatoes •1 Pack of Ranch Dressing Mix •1 Pack of Taco Powder •1 Can of Pinto Beans •1 Can of Garbanzo Beans •1 Can of Large Lima Beans •1 Can of Corn
For a variation, add chili powder instead of taco powder. You can use a variety of other beans such as navy beans, pork & beans, black eyed peas, or whatever you might have on hand. A good tip for cooking lean ground beef without adding oil is to add 3/4 cup of water to the beef and stir meat and water together until toughly mixed. Cook until the beef begins to brown. Add the remaining ingredients and let it simmer for one hour, then serve.