Wendy Johnson and Johnny Rafkin own Jóia Food Farm near Charles City in northeast Iowa,…
COVID-19 continues to spread. In the early days of the pandemic, many farmers and ranchers made fast and major adjustments to their businesses as markets shifted. Some producers experienced a huge increase in demand from people finding empty meat counters and grocery store shelves. Other farms, especially those set up to supply restaurants and institutions, experienced a drastic decrease in business as many of those outlets restricted operations or closed for extended periods of time. Now months have gone by, and while the initial panic may have subsided, the repercussions continue. At the time of writing this blog post, we are seeing some of the highest rates of infection in the United States. The future is unpredictable, and during this time of instability, we cannot forget to support producers who have and are continuing to produce food for their communities.
A Greener World has been regularly sharing about the deep impact this epidemic has had on markets and supply chains, and although some regions are reopening to the closest thing we’ve had to “normal” in months, farmers are still experiencing many challenges.
Here are some ways you can continue to help support independent, sustainable farmers:
- Shop from retailers near you that sell products from our certified farms to know that your dollar is making a difference in keeping sustainable farms in business.
- Prefer to shop online? Buy AGW-certified meats, dairy, and other products and have them shipped safely to your doorstep. Visit our directory here to see online shopping options.
- Encourage friends and family to buy from AGW-certified farms. If you need to know where to find farms near you, visit AGW’s online product directory or contact our team and we’ll be glad to help.
- Send a gift to a friend. Gift cards, farm merchandise and other goods ship easily and make thoughtful gifts! Use our directory to find a farm near you that offers shipping options.
- Follow AGW-certified farms on social media so you can hear updates straight from the farm. Engaging online and sharing updates from farms with your friends can help to generate more business! Follow AGW to connect with AGW-certified farms.
- Have you found a farm that you are purchasing from during the pandemic and think they could be a good fit for certification? Let us know who they are through the Suggest a Farm page and we’ll be glad to reach out to them with information about our programs.
- Need more tailored assistance or have questions? Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
As our communities and local economies continue to feel impacts of the pandemic, it’s important for us to continue to support sustainable farming as much as possible to help sustain these farming businesses for the future. **We literally can’t survive without them.** As time goes by, we hope you’ll keep offering encouragement and support to the farmers who feed us.
Photo credit: Prairie Fruits Farm and Creamery in Champaign, IL