Monday night we had a table at the panel, “Power, People, Poultry” sponsored by the UNC student group FLO. FLO stands for Fair, Local and Organic and is an association of students working to get this type of food into the school and into the larger food chain. Goals of the group include:
1. Establish a system of tracking sustainable progress
2. Sign on to the principles of the Real Food Challenge
3. Establish a Local/Seasonal menu database
4. Re-introduce grassfed burgers to Bottom of Lenior [UNC Dining Facilities]
5. Three Green Theme Meals per semester
6. Certification of local farms to develolp a Sustainable Farm Database
These may seem like lofty goals, but the group has already managed to get local grassfed beef onto the menu every Wednesday until the end of the semester. We enjoyed meeting such a committed group of students and wish them every success in supporting local, sustainable agriculture. For more information visit the FLO website.